(20 October) New Site

I am currently located in the Kasese District on the road to the Congo about 13miles from the border with a great view of the Rwenzori Mountains. The organization that I'm working for is called the Good Hope Foundation for Rural Development and it focuses on Human Rights on a broad range of issues. I hope to be helping them revamp the NGO on their bylaws, constitution, and areas of concern. I'm fairly excited. Before making it to Uganda I stopped off in New York for a week to see one of my quasi-cousins, Kelly, and her fiance, Imran, and decided I loved every minute, so I've decided once I get back in two years I will either start my Ph. D. in New England or find a job in New York or both if Columbia or NYU have what I'm looking for. I just keep telling myself I have to make it through these next two years in the bush and then I can see friends again, watch a movie in a theater, and even have some genuine fried foods...I'm in awe every time I think of how happy the people are and how little they actually have. I know any little sacrifice I may make will be less than the help I can bring (yep I'm still a corny, idealistic, utilitarian). Beyond that I'm sure I'm barely a shadow of who you once knew, but I guess that's to be expected from time. Hair has grown longer, beard more Jesusy, heart more tender, yet mind more immersed and mouth more cynical... if that's possible. Sorry I've rambled, this letter has become my escape from evaluating the organization's infrastructure and studying Lhukonzo...Yep I still procrastinate like no other.