It's A Waiting Game

Things you take for granted back in the West are things fought and worked for over here. For instance, it seems as though every other day, including today, I barely had enough water to wash my face let alone my body. I have already conceded that washing everyday is a slim chance and now I'm just concerned with keeping my jerrican of drinking water supplied. My mind wonders to just standing under a steaming shower for an hour, possibly with a Jack and ginger in one hand and a Backyard burger in the other, if I could be so bold. As many of my writings will develop, I'm currently waiting for a community meeting to begin. It was scheduled for 10am, but this is Africa, and it's 11:30am and we may soon begin. Our topic of discussion for this prolonged, anticipated meeting is a health centre which regularly sees 150 patients and only 1 staff member, a nurse, out of 17, who shows up to work. The chair of the meeting is now speaking as the staff, management committee, NGO leaders, and community members listen on. The RDC, representative of the national government, has decided not to come or was not invited. He, less than two weeks ago, railed Martha, another PCV, and myself for not bringing funds with us instead of expertise. When we first visited the health centre in its dismal state we were told that the majority of staff just show up for their paychecks and go home. The Nyabirongo Health Centre is under the responsibility of the RDC.
The last couple days I have resorted to reading to fill my time as our power is out. I now know exactly how Pablo Escobar was taken out as described in the 360pg investigative book, Killing Pablo. Now I switch to The State of Africa, a fairly relevant book. When darkness sets in and reading becomes difficult, shortwave radio is my salvation. BBC Africa, Voice of America, and China International Radio keep me involved in the world along with the Premier League. At around 10:30pm or so I flip off the shortwave and listen to the i-pod until I fall asleep. I find joy in things I rarely have before...Peanut Butter. Pb and J along with an apple with peanut butter fill a majority of my meals. While stewed beans, tomatoes, and onions make up the rest with a daily multi-vitamin and a spoonful of jam as desert. The time is now 2:30pm and the meeting is nearing the end. I hope to travel to K-town tomorrow for supplies and yes, Peanut Butter.